Telephone / Addresses

List of clinics and health centres.

Travel Health Centres

Note : Prior appointment is required.


Quick Access

  • PolyU 85th Anniversary
  • About PolyU
  • PolyU A to Z
  • Research at PolyU
  • Study at PolyU


Our Services

  • Medical Consultation
  • General Information - TCM Clinic
  • Know More About Traditional Chinese Medicine
  • Diabetes Mellitus
  • Hypertension
  • Emergency Service
  • Laboratory Services
  • Radiography Services
  • Treatment Procedures
  • Nursing Services
  • Student Dental Services

Health Education

  • Current Campaign
  • Communicable Diseases
  • Non-communicable Diseases
  • Health and Hygiene
  • Other Information
  • Previous Health Education Activities
  • Preventive Care
  • Health Check-up
  • Mental Wellness Clinic

Travel Health Clinic

  • Vaccination Service
  • Other Services on Campus
  • Appointment Booking
  • History and Mission
  • Location and Opening Hours
  • Bad Weather Arrangement
  • Staff Members


Services Provided

Make an appointment.

  • Preparation for your travel health consultation

Travel Health Tips

Useful links, what do we provide.

  • Travel Health Consultation:

      Travel health risks for individual traveler or trip are different. The travel health consultation will provide you with personalized information based on your itinerary.

  • Health talk for travel groups
  • Vaccinations *
  • Prophylactic medications for malaria and high altitude sickness
  • Travelers’ Medicine Kit
  • First Aid Kit
  • Insect Repellent

*Yellow Fever Vaccine

In Hong Kong, Yellow fever vaccination is only available in the Travel Health Centres, Department of Health. Please note that Yellow fever vaccination certificate is an entry requirement for certain countries and is valid only 10 days after injection.  Please reserve sufficient time for vaccination before your trip.

Please make an appointment for travel health consultation at least 6 weeks before your journey You can make an appointment:

  • In person OR
  • By phone: 2766 5433
  • Online booking not applicable
  • Remark: Our UHS service is available to PolyU full time students and staff only.

Please specify during your booking:

  • Number of persons for group travel (Eligible UHS users traveling as a group are encouraged to come together)
  • Destination
  • Date of travel

Preparation For Your Travel Health Consultation

On the day of consultation, please bring with you:

  • The itinerary in details (include the date and name of cities that you are visiting, the type of accommodation and planned activities)
  • Your vaccination record
  • The pre-filled Travel Health Questionnaire ( Click to open the document)

** For travel groups with 10 people or more, please send us the above three documents of each traveller at least one week before the health talk.

  • Business Traveler
  • Deep Vein Thrombosis
  • High Altitude Syndrome
  • Keep an Eye on Food Hygiene Abroad
  • Prevention of Mosquito-Borne Diseases
  • Rabies Prevention
  • Water Purification Methods
  • Travel Health Service, Department of Health, HKSAR
  • Outbound Travel Alert System, Security Bureau
  • Registration of Outbound Travel Information, Immigration Department
  • World Health Organization (WHO)

       Disease Outbreak News

       International Travel and Health

  • Travelers’ Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
  • Global Travel Clinic Directory, International Society of Travel Medicine

PolyU full time students and staff are eligible for our services. One-month service grace period will be given to students upon confirmation of their eligibility for graduation.

We use Cookies to give you a better experience on our website. By continuing to browse the site without changing your privacy settings, you are consenting to our use of Cookies. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy Statement .

Your browser is not the latest version. If you continue to browse our website, Some pages may not function properly. You are recommended to upgrade to a newer version or switch to a different browser. A list of the web browsers that we support can be found here

What are you looking for?

travel clinic hong kong

  • ASIAXPAT 1999 - 2019 20 Years serving the Expat Community in Hong Kong
  • Hong Kong's Number One Classifieds Site
  • HELLO: Guest!


  • Monday 13 May 2024

  • Classifieds

Specific Advice

Regionally shared advice.

  • Hot Properties
  • Hong Kong Serviced Apartments

travel clinic hong kong

  • Hire Domestic Helper
  • Promote Your Business

travel clinic hong kong

  • Direct Owner Property
  • Hong Kong Reads
  • Share Flats
  • Part Time Helpers
  • Moving Quotes
  • Businesses for Sale
  • Part Time Maids
  • Buy/Sell Autos
  • No Commission Hong Kong Apartments
  • Moving Quote
  • Hong Kong Pollution
  • Request Recommendations
  • Learn Chinese
  • Weight Control
  • Chiropractors

Moving Quotes

Travel Clinic

Traveling has many benefits including reducing stress, learning about other cultures, and creating memories. But visiting new countries may expose you to illnesses, which is why it is recommended that travellers receive vaccinations. Here is a list of clinics in Hong Kong that offers travel vaccines, health consultations and other medical services.

Marina Medical

Marina Medical @Central is a private outpatient clinic providing primary and specialty care services, located in Central. Aside from general and specialists consultations, we also offer a range of vaccinations, health screening and travel medicine services. Vaccination is not just for a certain age group. A range of vaccinations is available for newborns to adults, as well as frequent traveller and specific location vaccination programme

Matilda International Hospital

The most carefully planned holiday‚ business trip or adventure travel may be ruined by illness‚ most of them are preventable. To protect your health, it is best to consult a travel clinic for advice at least four weeks before your vacation or business trip begins. Click below to book an appointment Matilda International Hospital • Address: 41 Mount Kellett Road, The Peak, Hong Kong • Phone: 2849 1500 • Email: [email protected] Matilda Medical Centre • Address: 41 Mount Kellett Road, The Peak, Hong Kong • Phone: 2537 8500 • Email: [email protected] Matilda Clinic – Caine Road • Address: 116 Caine Road, Mid-Levels, Hong Kong • Phone: 2849 2216 • Email: [email protected]

Neo-Health Group

Vaccinations prior to travel are the most cost-effective way to prevent disease while visiting foreign countries. When making your travel plans, we recommend checking your vaccination status. Most vaccines should be administered at least two weeks prior to departure, but some vaccines require administration over the course of a month. For Doctor consultation, testing, and travel vaccination, call us at (852) 3160 4886 or email us at [email protected]

Raffles Medical – Hong Kong International Airport

Raffles Medical – Hong Kong International Airport is a one-stop medical centre opened in 1998. If you feel unwell or need medical assistance while at the Hong Kong International Airport, our airport centre offers general medical, occupational & travel medicine, physiotherapy, Chinese medicine services, Vaccinations, and more. We are open daily 7.00 am - 12 midnight (Doctor on-site) and 12 midnight -7.00 am (Nurse on-site and doctor off-site on-call)

Travel Health Clinic - PolyU

The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Travel Health Clinic provides Travel Health Consultation. Travel health risks for individual travelers or trips are different. The travel health consultation will provide you with personalized information based on your itinerary. Health talk for travel groups, Vaccinations, Prophylactic medications for malaria and high altitude sickness, Travelers’ Medicine Kit, First Aid Kit, and Insect Repellent.


  • Kuala Lumpur


  • Upload or Amend Classified Ads
  • Dramatically increase the loading speed of pages
  • Access key content on the AsiaXPAT web site


  • 70th Anniversary
  • Mission and Vision
  • History and Development
  • The CS Team
  • Financial Information
  • Achievements

Service Area

Child & Family

Youth & Social Rehabilitation

Elderly, Rehabilitation & Community

Services in Shamshuipo

Pui Oi School

Employee Assistance Programme

Support Service for Church

Audio and Video Service

TOP Professional Training and Development Service

  • Early Childhood Education Service
  • Pario Education Centre
  • Pario Arts Education Centre
  • Healthy Seed Centre
  • Children Arts Development Fund
  • Child Rehabilitation Service
  • Early Education and Training Centre
  • Special Child Care Centre
  • Special Child Care Centre cum Early Education and Training Centre
  • District-based Speech Therapy Service
  • On-Site Preschool Rehabilitation Services – Bridge-Integrated Education Service
  • Project Bridge for Children’s Development
  • To-gather Parents Resource Centre
  • Chih Ai Parents’ Association
  • Arts Development Fund for Children with Special Needs
  • Family & Counselling Service
  • Children & Youth Service
  • Kwun Tong Happy Teens Club
  • North Point Happy Teens Club
  • Shamshuipo Central Happy Teens Club
  • Shamshuipo West Happy Teens Club
  • "BLOG" Hidden Youth Career Life Development Service
  • Services for Young Night Drifters
  • Animal-Human Bond Project
  • Get L.O.S.T. Youth Counseling Service
  • Residential Child Care Service
  • School Social Work Service
  • Drug Treatment & Social Rehabilitation Service
  • PS33 - Tsimshatsui Centre
  • PS33 - Shamshuipo Centre
  • HERO - MSM Support Service
  • Project THC – Stratified Cannabis Users Intervention
  • Jockey Club Lodge of Rising Sun
  • Online New Page-Online Addiction Counselling Centre
  • Teen TechCreator
  • Yuen Long District Youth Outreaching Social Work Team
  • Walk with Love: Clinical Psychological Service for Children and Families
  • Caring School Award Scheme
  • Active Ageing & Community Care Service
  • Shamshuipo Integrated Home Care Service Team
  • Wan Hon Integrated Home Care Service Team
  • Support to Ethnic Elderly (SEE) Project
  • Community Helper - Support for Elders with Emigrant Family
  • Pilot Scheme on Training for Foreign Domestic Helpers in Elderly Care
  • Jockey Club Community eHealth Care Project
  • Caregiver Support Project 2.0 – Dissemination Project
  • Empowerment and Advocacy Work
  • Elderly Council
  • Continuing Care & Health Service
  • Chin Wah Day Care Centre for the Elderly
  • Shamshuipo Day Care Centre for the Elderly
  • Cheung Fat Home for the Elderly
  • Shun Lee Home for the Elderly
  • Wah Hong Home for the Elderly
  • Multi-disciplinary Outreaching Support Team for the Elderly (Kowloon West Cluster)
  • Multicultural, Rehabilitation & Community Service
  • M.O.T.I.ON – Multicultural Outreaching Team for InclusiON
  • Centre for Harmony and Enhancement of Ethnic Minority Residents (CHEER)
  • "C-for- Chinese@JC" Project
  • On Wah Day Activity Centre
  • Jockey Club Experiential Learning Project for Students with Special Educational Needs
  • Jockey Club S.A.T.H. Project for Healthy Families
  • “Food To-Gather” Short-term Food Assistance Service Team (Shamshuipo)
  • Latest News
  • Annual Report
  • Amplifier 33 (Chinese version only)
  • Service Bulletins
  • Press Release
  • Media Report
  • Publication
  • Policy Advocacy
  • One-off & Monthly Donations
  • Monthly Donation Programme
  • “Angel of Hope” Programme – Parent-child Volunteer & Monthly Donation Programme
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • In-kind Donations
  • Fundraising Activities
  • Make a Wish Come True Programme
  • Charity Laisee Campaign
  • Territory-wide Flag Day
  • Corporate Partnership
  • Become a Volunteer
  • Use of Fund
  • Acknowledgement

Our Service

travel clinic hong kong

Contact Us 

Our Clinic was established in 1958 and has been providing various kinds of medical services and health education to citizens and tourists. We also aim at responding to community needs and medical service development.

Service Content

  • General Medical and Specialists Consultations : General Medical, Dental, Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Geriatrics, Gynaecology, Surgery, Psychiatry, Orthopaedic, Podiatry and Occupational Therapy.
  • Health Check Ups : Gynaecological Check Up , Pre-employment Check Up , Pre-admission to school and residential home Check Up, Pre-employment Check Up for Domestic Helper , Pre-marriage Check Up , Cancer Investigation , Health Check Up for Adult , Sexually Transmitted Disease Profile . We can also provide medical health reports.
  • Travel Health Consultation and Service : Prevention of high altitude problems, Influenza vaccine, Typhoid vaccine, Anti malaria, Japanese Encephalitis, Rabies vaccine, Meningococcal, Tetanus vaccine, Hepatitis A or B vaccine, etc.
  • Health Promotion Scheme for Adults
  • Nursing Care Services : Wound dressing, Intramuscular injection, Removal of surgical stitches, etc.
  • Minor Surgery Services : Provided by experienced surgeon under local anaesthesia, for example, removal of nail, simple suturing of wound, excision of nodule Incision and drainage of abcess.
  • Health Education Enquiry : Various health magazines, posters and leaflets are provided in our clinic, for promoting health knowledges to the public. Our nurse will also render health education enquiry service.

Clinic accepts cash and insurance cards for all subjects. Health Care Vouches are also accepted for General Medical, Dental, Ophthalmology and Occupational therapy.

Service Targets

Hong Kong citizens and travelers.

Service Hours

  • Service Leaflet
  • Travel Clinic
  • Health Checks & Blood Tests
  • Family Health
  • Sexual Health
  • Aesthetic Clinics
  • Occupational Health
  • Pricing List
  • Login / Register
  • Online Booking

Health Clinic Trustpilot

Find a Clinic

  • MK test Home
  • Travel vaccinations >

Travel Vaccinations for Hong Kong


Rabies is a disease transmitted when you’re scratched or bitten by an animal that carries the disease. This could be any wild animal such as a bat or a fox but also a domestic animal such as a dog or cat. Although animals who have rabies will develop symptoms as the disease progresses, you can’t know for sure whether an animal carries it. Rabies is almost always fatal so it’s very important that you seek medical attention immediately if you’re bitten or scratched by an animal while in a country where rabies is endemic. The nurse or pharmacist may recommend the vaccine if you will be visiting rural areas with limited access to medical care or if you are planning to work with or handle animals. They may also recommend it if you’re staying for longer than one month.

Why do I need a consultation?

It is difficult to say which vaccines you need without asking a medical professional. Your itinerary, your medical history and the activities you have planned all affect which vaccinations you need. It is important that a trained travel nurse or pharmacist checks what you need.

Exactly the travel vaccinations you need - no more, no less.

During your consultation, our nurse or pharmacist will talk you through the health risks at your travel destinations to check which vaccines you need. If a vaccine is not essential, we will explain your options so you can decide whether you would like to have it.

Malaria is a serious and sometimes fatal disease transmitted by mosquitoes. You cannot be vaccinated against malaria.

Malaria Precautions

  • Malaria not normally present unless the illness was contracted abroad.

Find your nearest clinic

Check which of our 60+ clinics is closest to you

travel clinic hong kong

View all clinics

How it works

1 book an appointment.

Book online or call our booking line. Our lines are open every day!

2 Attend Consultation

During your appointment, the nurse or pharmacist will assess which vaccines or medications you need.

3 Get your treatment

Once our health advisor has assessed your needs, you'll receive your vaccinations & treatments straight away.

How it Works

Book an appointment online, attend your consultation, get your treatment, what our customers think, popular destinations, south africa.

You are using an outdated browser. Upgrade your browser today or install Google Chrome Frame to better experience this site.

Hong Kong SAR (China) Traveler View

Travel health notices, vaccines and medicines, non-vaccine-preventable diseases, stay healthy and safe.

  • Packing List

After Your Trip

Map - Hong Kong SAR (China)

There are no notices currently in effect for Hong Kong SAR (China).

⇧ Top

Check the vaccines and medicines list and visit your doctor at least a month before your trip to get vaccines or medicines you may need. If you or your doctor need help finding a location that provides certain vaccines or medicines, visit the Find a Clinic page.

Routine vaccines


Make sure you are up-to-date on all routine vaccines before every trip. Some of these vaccines include

  • Chickenpox (Varicella)
  • Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis
  • Flu (influenza)
  • Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR)

Immunization schedules

All eligible travelers should be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines. Please see  Your COVID-19 Vaccination  for more information. 

COVID-19 vaccine

Hepatitis A

Recommended for unvaccinated travelers one year old or older going to Hong Kong.

Infants 6 to 11 months old should also be vaccinated against Hepatitis A. The dose does not count toward the routine 2-dose series.

Travelers allergic to a vaccine component or who are younger than 6 months should receive a single dose of immune globulin, which provides effective protection for up to 2 months depending on dosage given.

Unvaccinated travelers who are over 40 years old, immunocompromised, or have chronic medical conditions planning to depart to a risk area in less than 2 weeks should get the initial dose of vaccine and at the same appointment receive immune globulin.

Hepatitis A - CDC Yellow Book

Dosing info - Hep A

Hepatitis B

Recommended for unvaccinated travelers younger than 60 years old traveling to Hong Kong. Unvaccinated travelers 60 years and older may get vaccinated before traveling to Hong Kong.

Hepatitis B - CDC Yellow Book

Dosing info - Hep B

Cases of measles are on the rise worldwide. Travelers are at risk of measles if they have not been fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to departure, or have not had measles in the past, and travel internationally to areas where measles is spreading.

All international travelers should be fully vaccinated against measles with the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, including an early dose for infants 6–11 months, according to  CDC’s measles vaccination recommendations for international travel .

Measles (Rubeola) - CDC Yellow Book

Hong Kong is free of dog rabies. However, rabies may still be present in wildlife species, particularly bats. CDC recommends rabies vaccination before travel only for people working directly with wildlife. These people may include veterinarians, animal handlers, field biologists, or laboratory workers working with specimens from mammalian species.

Rabies - CDC Yellow Book

Recommended for most travelers, especially those staying with friends or relatives or visiting smaller cities or rural areas.

Typhoid - CDC Yellow Book

Dosing info - Typhoid

Avoid contaminated water


How most people get sick (most common modes of transmission)

  • Touching urine or other body fluids from an animal infected with leptospirosis
  • Swimming or wading in urine-contaminated fresh water, or contact with urine-contaminated mud
  • Drinking water or eating food contaminated with animal urine
  • Avoid contaminated water and soil

Clinical Guidance

Avoid bug bites.


  • Mosquito bite
  • Avoid Bug Bites

Airborne & droplet

  • Breathing in air or accidentally eating food contaminated with the urine, droppings, or saliva of infected rodents
  • Bite from an infected rodent
  • Less commonly, being around someone sick with hantavirus (only occurs with Andes virus)
  • Avoid rodents and areas where they live
  • Avoid sick people

Tuberculosis (TB)

  • Breathe in TB bacteria that is in the air from an infected and contagious person coughing, speaking, or singing.

Learn actions you can take to stay healthy and safe on your trip. Vaccines cannot protect you from many diseases in Hong Kong, so your behaviors are important.

Eat and drink safely

Food and water standards around the world vary based on the destination. Standards may also differ within a country and risk may change depending on activity type (e.g., hiking versus business trip). You can learn more about safe food and drink choices when traveling by accessing the resources below.

  • Choose Safe Food and Drinks When Traveling
  • Water Treatment Options When Hiking, Camping or Traveling
  • Global Water, Sanitation and Hygiene | Healthy Water
  • Avoid Contaminated Water During Travel

You can also visit the Department of State Country Information Pages for additional information about food and water safety.

Prevent bug bites

Although Hong Kong is an industrialized country, bug bites here can still spread diseases. Just as you would in the United States, try to avoid bug bites while spending time outside or in wooded areas.

What can I do to prevent bug bites?

  • Cover exposed skin by wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and hats.
  • Use an appropriate insect repellent (see below).
  • Consider using permethrin-treated clothing and gear if spending a lot of time outside. Do not use permethrin directly on skin.

What type of insect repellent should I use?

  • FOR PROTECTION AGAINST TICKS AND MOSQUITOES: Use a repellent that contains 20% or more DEET for protection that lasts up to several hours.
  • Picaridin (also known as KBR 3023, Bayrepel, and icaridin)
  • Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) or para-menthane-diol (PMD)
  • 2-undecanone
  • Always use insect repellent as directed.

What should I do if I am bitten by bugs?

  • Avoid scratching bug bites, and apply hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion to reduce the itching.
  • Check your entire body for ticks after outdoor activity. Be sure to remove ticks properly.

What can I do to avoid bed bugs?

Although bed bugs do not carry disease, they are an annoyance. See our information page about avoiding bug bites for some easy tips to avoid them. For more information on bed bugs, see Bed Bugs .

For more detailed information on avoiding bug bites, see Avoid Bug Bites .

Stay safe outdoors

If your travel plans in Hong Kong include outdoor activities, take these steps to stay safe and healthy during your trip:

  • Stay alert to changing weather conditions and adjust your plans if conditions become unsafe.
  • Prepare for activities by wearing the right clothes and packing protective items, such as bug spray, sunscreen, and a basic first aid kit.
  • Consider learning basic first aid and CPR before travel. Bring a travel health kit with items appropriate for your activities.
  • If you are outside for many hours in the heat, eat salty snacks and drink water to stay hydrated and replace salt lost through sweating.
  • Protect yourself from UV radiation : use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15, wear protective clothing, and seek shade during the hottest time of day (10 a.m.–4 p.m.).
  • Be especially careful during summer months and at high elevation. Because sunlight reflects off snow, sand, and water, sun exposure may be increased during activities like skiing, swimming, and sailing.
  • Very cold temperatures can be dangerous. Dress in layers and cover heads, hands, and feet properly if you are visiting a cold location.

Stay safe around water

  • Swim only in designated swimming areas. Obey lifeguards and warning flags on beaches.
  • Do not dive into shallow water.
  • Avoid swallowing water when swimming. Untreated water can carry germs that make you sick.
  • Practice safe boating—follow all boating safety laws, do not drink alcohol if you are driving a boat, and always wear a life jacket.

Keep away from animals

Most animals avoid people, but they may attack if they feel threatened, are protecting their young or territory, or if they are injured or ill. Animal bites and scratches can lead to serious diseases such as rabies.

Follow these tips to protect yourself:

  • Do not touch or feed any animals you do not know.
  • Do not allow animals to lick open wounds, and do not get animal saliva in your eyes or mouth.
  • Avoid rodents and their urine and feces.
  • Traveling pets should be supervised closely and not allowed to come in contact with local animals.
  • If you wake in a room with a bat, seek medical care immediately.  Bat bites may be hard to see.

All animals can pose a threat, but be extra careful around dogs, bats, monkeys, sea animals such as jellyfish, and snakes. If you are bitten or scratched by an animal, immediately:

  • Wash the wound with soap and clean water.
  • Go to a doctor right away.
  • Tell your doctor about your injury when you get back to the United States.

Reduce your exposure to germs

Follow these tips to avoid getting sick or spreading illness to others while traveling:

  • Wash your hands often, especially before eating.
  • If soap and water aren’t available, clean hands with hand sanitizer (containing at least 60% alcohol).
  • Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you need to touch your face, make sure your hands are clean.
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
  • Try to avoid contact with people who are sick.
  • If you are sick, stay home or in your hotel room, unless you need medical care.

Avoid sharing body fluids

Diseases can be spread through body fluids, such as saliva, blood, vomit, and semen.

Protect yourself:

  • Use latex condoms correctly.
  • Do not inject drugs.
  • Limit alcohol consumption. People take more risks when intoxicated.
  • Do not share needles or any devices that can break the skin. That includes needles for tattoos, piercings, and acupuncture.
  • If you receive medical or dental care, make sure the equipment is disinfected or sanitized.

Know how to get medical care while traveling

Plan for how you will get health care during your trip, should the need arise:

  • Carry a list of local doctors and hospitals at your destination.
  • Review your health insurance plan to determine what medical services it would cover during your trip. Consider purchasing travel health and medical evacuation insurance for things your regular insurance will not cover.
  • Carry a card that identifies, in the local language, your blood type, chronic conditions or serious allergies, and the generic names of any medicines you take.
  • Bring copies of your prescriptions for medicine and for eye glasses and contact lenses.
  • Some prescription drugs may be illegal in other countries. Call Hong Kong’s embassy to verify that all of your prescription(s) are legal to bring with you.
  • Bring all the medicines (including over-the-counter medicines) you think you might need during your trip, including extra in case of travel delays. Ask your doctor to help you get prescriptions filled early if you need to.

Many foreign hospitals and clinics are accredited by the Joint Commission International. A list of accredited facilities is available at their website ( ).

Select safe transportation

Motor vehicle crashes are the #1 killer of healthy US citizens in foreign countries.

Be smart when you are traveling on foot.

  • Use sidewalks and marked crosswalks.
  • Pay attention to the traffic around you, especially in crowded areas.
  • Remember, people on foot do not always have the right of way in other countries.


Choose a safe vehicle.

  • Choose official taxis or public transportation, such as trains and buses.
  • Make sure there are seatbelts.
  • Avoid overcrowded, overloaded, top-heavy buses and minivans.
  • Avoid riding on motorcycles or motorbikes, especially motorbike taxis. (Many crashes are caused by inexperienced motorbike drivers.)
  • Choose newer vehicles—they may have more safety features, such as airbags, and be more reliable.
  • Choose larger vehicles, which may provide more protection in crashes.

Think about the driver.

  • Do not drive after drinking alcohol or ride with someone who has been drinking.
  • Consider hiring a licensed, trained driver familiar with the area.
  • Arrange payment before departing.

Follow basic safety tips.

  • Wear a seatbelt at all times.
  • Sit in the back seat of cars and taxis.
  • When on motorbikes or bicycles, always wear a helmet. (Bring a helmet from home, if needed.)
  • Do not use a cell phone or text while driving (illegal in many countries).
  • Travel during daylight hours only, especially in rural areas.
  • If you choose to drive a vehicle in Hong Kong, learn the local traffic laws and have the proper paperwork.
  • Get any driving permits and insurance you may need. Get an International Driving Permit (IDP). Carry the IDP and a US-issued driver's license at all times.
  • Check with your auto insurance policy's international coverage, and get more coverage if needed. Make sure you have liability insurance.
  • Avoid using local, unscheduled aircraft.
  • If possible, fly on larger planes (more than 30 seats); larger airplanes are more likely to have regular safety inspections.
  • Try to schedule flights during daylight hours and in good weather.

Helpful Resources

Road Safety Overseas (Information from the US Department of State): Includes tips on driving in other countries, International Driving Permits, auto insurance, and other resources.

The Association for International Road Travel has country-specific Road Travel Reports available for most countries for a minimal fee.

Traffic flows on the left side of the road in Hong Kong.

  • Always pay close attention to the flow of traffic, especially when crossing the street.
  • LOOK RIGHT for approaching traffic.

Maintain personal security

Use the same common sense traveling overseas that you would at home, and always stay alert and aware of your surroundings.

Before you leave

  • Research your destination(s), including local laws, customs, and culture.
  • Monitor travel advisories and alerts and read travel tips from the US Department of State.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) .
  • Leave a copy of your itinerary, contact information, credit cards, and passport with someone at home.
  • Pack as light as possible, and leave at home any item you could not replace.

While at your destination(s)

  • Carry contact information for the nearest US embassy or consulate .
  • Carry a photocopy of your passport and entry stamp; leave the actual passport securely in your hotel.
  • Follow all local laws and social customs.
  • Do not wear expensive clothing or jewelry.
  • Always keep hotel doors locked, and store valuables in secure areas.
  • If possible, choose hotel rooms between the 2nd and 6th floors.

Healthy Travel Packing List

Use the Healthy Travel Packing List for Hong Kong SAR (China) for a list of health-related items to consider packing for your trip. Talk to your doctor about which items are most important for you.

Why does CDC recommend packing these health-related items?

It’s best to be prepared to prevent and treat common illnesses and injuries. Some supplies and medicines may be difficult to find at your destination, may have different names, or may have different ingredients than what you normally use.

If you are not feeling well after your trip, you may need to see a doctor. If you need help finding a travel medicine specialist, see Find a Clinic . Be sure to tell your doctor about your travel, including where you went and what you did on your trip. Also tell your doctor if you were bitten or scratched by an animal while traveling.

For more information on what to do if you are sick after your trip, see Getting Sick after Travel .

Map Disclaimer - The boundaries and names shown and the designations used on maps do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries. Approximate border lines for which there may not yet be full agreement are generally marked.

Other Destinations

If you need help finding travel information:

Message & data rates may apply. CDC Privacy Policy

File Formats Help:

  • Adobe PDF file
  • Microsoft PowerPoint file
  • Microsoft Word file
  • Microsoft Excel file
  • Audio/Video file
  • Apple Quicktime file
  • RealPlayer file
  • Zip Archive file

Exit Notification / Disclaimer Policy

  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) cannot attest to the accuracy of a non-federal website.
  • Linking to a non-federal website does not constitute an endorsement by CDC or any of its employees of the sponsors or the information and products presented on the website.
  • You will be subject to the destination website's privacy policy when you follow the link.
  • CDC is not responsible for Section 508 compliance (accessibility) on other federal or private website.

Update May 10, 2024

Information for u.s. citizens in the middle east.

  • Travel Advisories |
  • Contact Us |
  • MyTravelGov |

Find U.S. Embassies & Consulates, congressional liaison, special issuance agency, u.s. passports, international travel, intercountry adoption, international parental child abduction, records and authentications, popular links, travel advisories, mytravelgov, stay connected, legal resources, legal information, info for u.s. law enforcement, replace or certify documents.

Before You Go

Learn About Your Destination

While Abroad


Share this page:

Travel Advisory April 12, 2024

Mainland china, hong kong & macau - see summaries.

Updated due to new national security legislation in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

Summary:  Reconsider travel to Mainland China due to the arbitrary enforcement of local laws, including in relation to exit bans, and the risk of wrongful detentions.

Exercise increased caution when traveling to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) due to the arbitrary enforcement of local laws .

Reconsider travel to the Macau Special Administrative Region (SAR) due to a limited ability to provide emergency consular services . Exercise increased caution when traveling to the Macau SAR due to the arbitrary enforcement of local laws .

See specific risks and conditions in each jurisdiction . 

Consulate Messages

View Alerts and Messages Archive

Quick Facts

One month beyond the date of your intended stay

One page required for entry stamp

Not required for stays under 90 days

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau 26 Garden Road Central, Hong Kong Telephone:  +852 2841-2211, +852 2841-2225, +852 2841-2323   Emergency After-Hours Telephone:  +852 2523-9011   Fax:  +852 2845-4845 Email:   [email protected]  

Destination Description

See the U.S. Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Hong Kong for information on U.S.-Hong Kong relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the  Hong Kong Immigration Department  website for the most current visa information. 

Find information on  dual nationality ,  prevention of international child abduction , and  customs regulations  on our website.

To enter the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), you need:

  • a passport that is valid for at least one month beyond the date of your intended stay;
  • adequate funds to cover your stay without working locally; and
  • evidence of onward/return transportation.

You only need a visa if:

  • You plan to stay for more than 90 days – obtain an extension with the Hong Kong SAR Immigration Department, if necessary.
  • You plan to work or study in the Hong Kong SAR – visas must be obtained prior to departing the United States.

You must possess a valid passport and PRC visa to enter the People’s Republic of China (PRC) from Hong Kong. Further information on travel to and around the PRC is available on our  China International Travel Information and Macau International Travel Information pages.

West Kowloon Train Station:  The West Kowloon Train Station is the terminus of the Hong Kong section of the  Guangzhou–Shenzhen–Hong Kong Express Rail Link  (XRL). Once passengers pass through the Hong Kong immigration exit checkpoint on their way to mainland China inside the train station or on the train itself in that area, they are in the mainland Port Area. Likewise, passengers arriving from mainland China are in the mainland Port Area until they exit the Hong Kong immigration entry checkpoint. 

Health Requirements: There are no COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens. The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of the PRC, including Hong Kong. 

Safety and Security

Since the imposition of the National Security Law on June 30, 2020, the People’s Republic of China (PRC) has demonstrated an intent to use the law to target a broad range of activities such as acts of secession, subversion, terrorism, and collusion with foreign entities. The National Security Law also covers offenses committed by non-Hong Kong SAR residents or organizations outside of the Hong Kong SAR, which could subject U.S. citizens who have been publicly critical of the PRC and/or the administration of the Hong Kong SAR to a heightened risk of arrest, detention, expulsion, or prosecution. Mainland PRC security forces, including an Office for Safeguarding National Security, now operate in Hong Kong and are not subject to oversight by the Hong Kong SAR judiciary.

Drug and Alcohol Enforcement: PRC law enforcement authorities have little tolerance for illegal drugs, including marijuana and products containing cannabidiol, also known as CBD . Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking illegal drugs in the PRC, including Hong Kong, are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences, heavy fines, or the death penalty.

Hong Kong also has strict laws against driving under the influence of alcohol that can lead to immediate detention on a criminal charge.

Demonstrations:  Participating in demonstrations or any other activities that authorities interpret as violating Hong Kong law, including the National Security Law, could result in criminal charges. On June 30, 2020, as part of its color-coded system of warning flags, the Hong Kong police unveiled a new purple flag, which warns protesters that shouting slogans or carrying banners with an intent prohibited by the law could now bring criminal charges. Any protests that take place without a permit are considered illegal.

U.S. citizens are strongly cautioned to be aware of their surroundings and avoid demonstrations.

If you decide to travel to Hong Kong: 

  • Monitor local media, local transportations sites and apps like  MTR Mobile  or  CitybusNWFB , and the  Hong Kong International Airport website  for updates and traffic advisories. 
  • Avoid the areas of the demonstrations. 
  • Exercise caution if you are in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests. 
  • Avoid taking photographs of protesters or police without permission. 
  • Be aware of your surroundings. 
  • Keep a low profile. 

Hong Kong has a low crime rate. Even so, you should exercise caution when in congested areas and pay particular attention to personal belongings while in crowded areas and while traveling on public transportation. Violent crime, though rare, does occur.

  • Take routine safety precautions. 
  • Report any concerns to the local police. 
  • Call “999,” the local equivalent to “911” 

Please note that mace, pepper spray, stun guns, bullets, switch blades, knuckle-dusters and other self-protection weapons are banned in Hong Kong. 

Do not buy counterfeit and pirated goods, even if they are widely available. Not only are the bootlegs illegal in the United States, but, if you purchase them, you may also be breaking local law. You may also pay fines or must give them up if you bring them back to the United States. See the  U.S. Department of Justice website  for more information.

Be alert to criminal schemes, such as internet, phone scams and dating scams, as well as financial scams. See the  U.S. Department of State's  and the  U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)'s  pages for information on scams. 

Victims of Crime:  Report crimes to the local police at “999” and contact U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau at +(825) 2523-9011. U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should first contact U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime. See our webpage on  help for U.S. victims of crime overseas .

We can: 

  • help you find appropriate medical care.
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police.
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent.
  • Provide general information regarding the victim’s role during the local investigation and following its conclusion.
  • provide a list of local attorneys.
  • provide our information on  victim’s compensation programs in the United States .
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution.
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home.
  • replace a stolen or lost passport.

Hong Kong has a crime victim compensation program available to U.S. citizens who are legal residents or tourists in Hong Kong. For more detailed information on the program and its requirements, please see the  Hong Kong Social Welfare Department webpage.  More resources for victims of crime in Hong Kong are available in our  Help for U.S. Victims of Crime in Hong Kong  information sheet. 

Domestic Violence:  U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence can/should contact the Hong Kong police and/or U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau for assistance. 

Tourism:  The tourism industry is generally regulated and rules with regard to best practices and safety inspections are regularly enforced. Hazardous areas/activities are identified with appropriate signage and professional staff is typically on hand in support of organized activities. In the event of an injury, appropriate medical treatment is widely available throughout Hong Kong. Outside of a major metropolitan center, it may take more time for first responders and medical professionals to stabilize a patient and provide life-saving assistance. U.S. citizens are encouraged to purchase medical evacuation insurance . 

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties:  You are subject to Hong Kong SAR laws, including certain PRC laws applied to Hong Kong. If you violate Hong Kong SAR laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Individuals establishing a business or practicing a profession that requires additional permits or licensing should seek information from the competent local authorities, prior to practicing or operating a business. Furthermore, some crimes are prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on  crimes against minors abroad  and the  U.S. Department of Justice  website. 

Arrest Notification:

  • If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau immediately. See our  webpage  for further information.
  • Hong Kong must notify a U.S. consular officer within four days; however, this does not always occur in a timely manner.
  • The PRC and Hong Kong SAR governments do not recognize dual nationality. The PRC and Hong Kong SAR governments may prevent the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulates General from providing consular services to dual U.S.-PRC citizens and U.S. citizens of Chinese descent. Please see the page on dual nationality for more information on the limits on consular notification and access to dual nationals.
  • A consular officer may be the only authorized visitor during your initial detention period.
  • Detention may last many months before a trial.
  • U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau is unable to represent you in a legal matter.
  • Travelers to the PRC should enroll in the U.S. Department of State’s  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) , and you may wish to have someone contact U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau if you are detained.

Hong Kong law provides for an independent judiciary, but PRC actions have eroded the judiciary’s independence and ability to uphold the rule of law, particularly in cases designated as involving national security. U.S. citizens traveling or residing in the PRC, including the Hong Kong SAR, should be aware of varying levels of scrutiny to which they will be subject from PRC state security and Hong Kong local law enforcement. In Hong Kong, police have the right to detain you for questioning if you are not carrying your passport.


Assisted Reproductive Technology:  Hong Kong strictly forbids surrogacy, and surrogacy contracts will not be considered valid. The use of reproductive technology for medical research and profit is strictly controlled.

Controlled Items in Hong Kong:  Hong Kong customs authorities enforce strict regulations concerning controlled items you might be carrying while transiting Hong Kong (temporary importation or exportation). Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) security routinely and thoroughly screens any luggage loaded onto an aircraft in Hong Kong, whether belonging to a departing or transiting passenger. Discovery of weapons or ammunition of any kind—including mace, pepper spray, stun guns, bullets, air gun pellets, switch blades, knuckle-dusters, and other self-protection weapons—during this screening will be referred to the police for investigation, leading to arrest and detention.

If you bring controlled items into Hong Kong without the necessary Hong Kong documents, you may be prosecuted, and the goods may be seized. The penalty for trafficking in dangerous drugs can be life imprisonment and a heavy fine. Among the other items that you must declare to customs officials are liquors, tobacco, cigarettes and cigars, methyl alcohol, and merchandise imported for commercial purposes. There are no currency restrictions for travelers.

The following is a non-exhaustive list of controlled and/or prohibited items:

  • dangerous drugs
  • psychotropic substances
  • controlled chemicals
  • antibiotics
  • strategic commodities
  • rough diamonds
  • endangered species
  • telecommunication equipment
  • powdered formula

Please visit the website of the  Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department  for specific information regarding Hong Kong customs requirements.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection encourages the use of an ATA (Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission) carnet for the temporary admission of professional equipment, commercial samples, and/or goods for exhibitions and fair purposes.

For additional information, please visit the  U.S. Council for International Business website  and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection web page on  Traveling with Samples .

Please see our  Customs Information  sheet for general information.

Dual Nationality:  Dual nationality is not recognized under  PRC nationality law . Be mindful of the following special circumstances for dual nationals when traveling in the region.

Enter the Hong Kong SAR on your U.S. passport to ensure U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau can provide consular assistance in case of arrest or other emergency. Regardless of your travel documents, if you are a dual national, or otherwise have ethnic or historical ties to the PRC, it is possible that Hong Kong authorities will assert that you are a PRC citizen and deny your access to U.S. consular representatives if you are detained.

Your child will be considered a PRC citizen if one or both of the parents are PRC nationals regardless of U.S. citizenship.

If traveling onward to mainland China, enter mainland China on your U.S. passport to ensure U.S. consular protection. See our  China International Travel Information  page for more information.

For further information on consular protection and  dual nationality , please refer to our website.

Counterfeit and Pirated Goods:  Although counterfeit and pirated goods are prevalent in many countries, they may still be illegal according to local laws. You may also pay fines or must give them up if you bring them back to the United States. See the  U.S. Department of Justice website  for more information.

Cruise Ship Passengers:  Please see our Cruise Ship Passengers page for safety information and travel advice.

Earthquakes:  Earthquakes occur throughout the PRC and have affected Hong Kong in the past. Check here for information about  preparing for a crisis or disaster overseas .

Faith-Based Travelers:  See the following webpages for details:

  • Faith-Based Travel Information
  • International Religious Freedom Reports
  • Country Reports on Human Rights Practices
  • Hajj Fact Sheet for Travelers
  • Best Practices for Volunteering Abroad

LGBTQI+ Travelers:  In Hong Kong, there are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTQI+ events in Hong Kong. See  Section 6 of our Human Rights Practices in the Human Rights Report for Hong Kong  and read our  LGBTQI+ Travel Information page .

Pets:  You must have a permit to bring dogs and cats into Hong Kong. Dogs and cats imported from the United States may be exempted from quarantine when they have valid health and vaccination certificates and when the animal has been in the United States for at least six months immediately preceding travel.

Additional information on importing pets is available on the  Hong Kong Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department website.

Political Activity:  Participating in unauthorized political activities, including participating in unauthorized public protests, or writing social media posts or other online publications critical of the government,   may result in detention, criminal charges, and/or PRC government-imposed restrictions on future travel to the PRC, including Hong Kong.

Social Media:  Social media accounts are widely monitored in the PRC, including Hong Kong. Social media posts—even content posted outside of Hong Kong—that local authorities deem illegal, including under the National Security Law or other Hong Kong laws, may result in criminal charges against both the poster of the material and the administrator of the social media forum.

Students:  See our  U.S. Students Abroad  page and  FBI travel tips .

Surveillance and Monitoring:  Security personnel carefully watch foreign visitors and may place you under surveillance. Hotel rooms (including meeting rooms), offices, cars, taxis, telephones, Internet usage, and fax machines may be monitored onsite or remotely, and personal possessions in hotel rooms, including computers, may be searched without your consent or knowledge.

Transferring Money to/From Hong Kong:  The U.S. Department of State may be able to help transfer funds to a destitute U.S citizen overseas through our office in Washington, D.C., to U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau. More information on this option is available on our Sending Money to Destitute U.S. Citizens Overseas page .

Travelers with Disabilities:  Sidewalks often do not have curb cuts and many streets can be crossed only via pedestrian bridges or underpasses accessible by staircase. Assistive technologies for blind people and those with other vision disabilities are unreliable, and access to elevators in public buildings can be restricted. In major cities, public restrooms in places visited by tourists usually have a least one accessible toilet.

Hong Kong law prohibits discrimination against persons with physical, sensory, intellectual, and mental disabilities in employment, education, access to health care, or the provision of other state services, and the government generally enforces these provisions. The law mandates access to buildings, information, and communications for persons with disabilities. The  Hong Kong Social Welfare Department  is primarily responsible for coordinating and funding public assistance programs to persons with disabilities. The  Hong Kong Tourism Board  publishes “ Accessible Hong Kong , ” a guide for visitors with disabilities and the  Hong Kong Transport Department  publishes  A Guide to Public Transport for People with Disabilities . In addition, the Hong Kong government created  Cyberable  to provide one-stop information for persons with various disabilities.

Weather:  The southeast coast of the PRC is subject to strong typhoons and tropical storms, usually from July through September. The  Hong Kong Observatory  has an excellent notification and monitoring system and issues typhoon warnings an average of six times a year and heavy rainstorm and hot weather alerts more frequently. Please be advised that if Hong Kong announces a Typhoon Signal 8 or above or Black Rainstorm Warning, U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau will be closed for services. You may find additional information on Check here for information about  preparing for a crisis or disaster overseas  on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

For current information, please consult the  Joint Typhoon Warning Center  and the  National Weather Service's Central Pacific Hurricane Center .

Women Travelers:  See our travel tips for  Women Travelers .

For emergency services in Hong Kong, dial 999.

Ambulance services are widely available.

Quality of Care:  Good medical facilities are available, and there are many Western-trained physicians. Hong Kong emergency service response times for police, fire, and ambulances are good.

We do not pay medical bills.  Be aware that U.S. Medicare/Medicaid does not apply overseas. Most hospitals and doctors overseas do not accept U.S. health insurance. 

Medical Insurance:  Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage  for more information on insurance coverage overseas. Visit the  U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  website for more information on type of insurance you should consider before you travel overseas.

We strongly recommend  supplemental insurance  to cover medical evacuation.

Payment and Insurance:  Travelers will be asked to post a deposit prior to admission to hospitals to cover the expected cost of treatment. Hospitals and clinics generally accept credit cards.

U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau maintains a list of local  English-speaking doctors and hospitals . We do not endorse or recommend any specific medical provider or clinic.

Medication : Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription. Prescription drugs are widely available, although names may vary. You need a prescription from a doctor in Hong Kong to purchase medications locally. Bring prescription medications to cover your stay in Hong Kong or plan to see a physician in Hong Kong to obtain a new prescription. If traveling with prescription medication, check with the  government of Hong Kong  to ensure the medication is legal in Hong Kong. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

Air Quality : Visit AirNow Department of State for information on air quality at U.S. Embassies and Consulates. The air quality in Hong Kong varies considerably and fluctuates with the seasons. It is typically at its worst in the summer.

People at the greatest risk from particle pollution exposure include: 

  • Infants, children, and teens;
  • People over 65 years of age;
  • People with lung disease such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema;
  • People with heart disease or diabetes; and 
  • People who work or are active outdoors.

Vaccinations:  Be up-to-date on all  vaccinations  recommended by the CDC.

COVID-19 Testing: COVID-19 PCR tests are available at private laboratories and clinics in Hong Kong. The price for these PCR tests generally ranges from 50 to 100 US Dollars. The Hong Kong government maintains a list of recognized laboratories . Rapid COVID-19 tests are readily available at pharmacies and retail establishments throughout Hong Kong.   

COVID-19 Vaccines:  The COVID-19 vaccine is available for U.S. citizen residents of Hong Kong. U.S. citizens who are not Hong Kong residents are not eligible to receive Hong Kong government-provided vaccines.   Visit the FDA's website to  learn more about FDA-approved vaccines  in the United States.   

For further health information :

  • World Health Organization (WHO)
  • U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:  Road conditions differ significantly from those in the United States. Each year there are approximately 14,000 traffic accidents.

  • Traffic moves on the left.
  • Speed limits vary depending on location.
  • Use of seatbelts is mandatory.
  • You can drive using your U.S. driver’s license for up to a year. If you hold a valid U.S. driver’s license and have resided in the United States at least six months, you can apply for a Hong Kong driver’s license. Visit the  Hong Kong Transport Department online  for further details. 

Traffic Laws:  Many traffic violations are similar to those in the United States, including penalties for reckless driving, driving under the influence, and using a hand-held device while operating a vehicle. Hong Kong law requires that all registered vehicles carry valid third-party liability insurance. 

Public Transportation:  Approximately 90 percent of the population in Hong Kong depends on public transport. Taxis, buses, and the mass transit railway (MTR) are readily available, inexpensive, and generally safe. The MTR, an underground railway network, is the most popular mode of public transport, carrying an average of 3.5 million passengers a day. Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed Hong Kong’s Civil Aviation Department (CAD) as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Hong Kong's air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the  FAA’s Safety Assessment Page .

Maritime Travel:  Mariners planning travel to Hong Kong should check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Maritime Security Communications with Industry (MSCI) web portal. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard Homeport website , and the U.S. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) Navigational Warnings website .

For additional travel information

  • Enroll in the  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)  to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Call us in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • See the  State Department’s travel website  for the  Worldwide Caution  and  Travel Advisories .
  • Follow us on  Twitter  and  Facebook .
  • See  traveling safely abroad  for useful travel tips.

Review information about International Parental Child Abduction in Hong Kong . For additional IPCA-related information, please see the International Child Abduction Prevention and Return Act ( ICAPRA ) report. 

Travel Advisory Levels

Assistance for u.s. citizens, hong kong map, learn about your destination, enroll in step.

Enroll in STEP

Subscribe to get up-to-date safety and security information and help us reach you in an emergency abroad.

Recommended Web Browsers: Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.

Check passport expiration dates carefully for all travelers! Children’s passports are issued for 5 years, adult passports for 10 years.


Antigua and Barbuda

Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, and Saba

Bosnia and Herzegovina

British Virgin Islands

Burkina Faso

Burma (Myanmar)

Cayman Islands

Central African Republic

Cote d Ivoire


Czech Republic

Democratic Republic of the Congo

Dominican Republic

El Salvador

Equatorial Guinea

Eswatini (Swaziland)

Falkland Islands

France (includes Monaco)

French Guiana

French Polynesia

French West Indies

Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Martin, and Saint Barthélemy (French West Indies)


Isle of Man

Israel, The West Bank and Gaza


Marshall Islands


New Caledonia

New Zealand

North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea)

Papua New Guinea


Republic of North Macedonia

Republic of the Congo

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Sao Tome and Principe

Saudi Arabia

Sierra Leone

Sint Maarten

Solomon Islands

South Africa

South Korea

South Sudan


The Bahamas


Trinidad and Tobago


Turks and Caicos Islands

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom

Vatican City (Holy See)

External Link

You are about to leave for an external website that is not maintained by the U.S. Department of State.

Links to external websites are provided as a convenience and should not be construed as an endorsement by the U.S. Department of State of the views or products contained therein. If you wish to remain on, click the "cancel" message.

You are about to visit:

Passport Health logo

Travel Vaccines and Advice for Hong Kong

Passport Health offers a variety of options for travellers throughout the world.

Hong Kong is a blend of both Eastern and Western influence with a myriad of architectural wonders, friendly gardens, modern marvels, and traditional experiences.

Hong Kong is identified by four separate and unique areas of the country. A popular attraction is Big Buddha. Stopover at Peng Chau Island on your way to the city center for a native Hong Kong experience.

Make your way to the Hong Kong Island for city life and more. The central area brings the mesmerizing, picturesque skylines to life.

What is Hong Kong?

Hong Kong is a special administrative region or SAR for short.

While it was a British colony for over 100 years, Hong Kong became a SAR under China in 1997. The region operates completely separately from China in politics and financials.

Do I Need a Visa for Hong Kong?

A passport which is valid for at least 1 month past the expected departure date is required to enter Hong Kong. A tourism or business visa is not required for stays less than 90 days. If you are travelling to mainland China via Hong Kong, you must obtain a Chinese visa prior to arrival.

Sources: Embassy of Hong Kong and Canadian Travel and Tourism

Hong Kong is very serious about passport expiration. Make sure you have at least one month’s validity upon exiting the region.

Visit our vaccinations page to learn more. Travel safely with Passport Health and schedule your appointment today by calling or book online now .

Do I Need Vaccines for Hong Kong?

Yes, some vaccines are recommended or required for Hong Kong. The PHAC and WHO recommend the following vaccinations for Hong Kong: COVID-19 , hepatitis A , hepatitis B , typhoid , rabies , meningitis , polio , measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) , Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) , chickenpox , shingles , pneumonia and influenza .

See the bullets below to learn more about some of these key immunizations:

  • COVID-19 – Airborne – Recommended for all travellers
  • Hepatitis A – Food & Water – Recommended for most travellers
  • Hepatitis B – Blood & Body Fluids – Accelerated schedule available
  • Typhoid – Food & Water – Shot lasts 2 years. Oral vaccine lasts 5 years, must be able to swallow pills. Oral doses must be kept in refrigerator.
  • Rabies – Saliva of Infected Animals – High risk country. Vaccine recommended for long-term travellers and those who may come in contact with animals.
  • Measles Mumps Rubella (MMR) – Various Vectors – Given to anyone unvaccinated and/or born after 1957. One time adult booster recommended.
  • TDAP (Tetanus, Diphtheria & Pertussis) – Wounds & Airborne – Only one adult booster of pertussis required.
  • Chickenpox – Direct Contact & Airborne – Given to those unvaccinated that did not have chickenpox.
  • Shingles – Direct Contact – Vaccine can still be given if you have had shingles.
  • Pneumonia – Airborne – Two vaccines given separately. All 65+ or immunocompromised should receive both.
  • Influenza – Airborne – Vaccine components change annually.
  • Meningitis – Airborne & Direct Contact – Given to anyone unvaccinated or at an increased risk, especially students.
  • Polio – Food & Water – Considered a routine vaccination for most travel itineraries. Single adult booster recommended.

See the tables below for more information:

Japanese encephalitis and chikungunya are present in Hong Kong. Make sure to bring mosquito repellents or netting. JE is found throughout Asia. Vaccination is the best form of protection against the mosquito-borne virus.

What is the Climate Like in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong is mountainous, taking over 70 percent of its geographical area. Hong Kong also has over 200 islands and is considered a subtropical monsoon climate. These reasons make Hong Kong best defined by its four seasons. Here are descriptions:

  • Winter – The subtropical climate turns winter into a cool and relatively humid environment. Expect temperatures around 18 degrees.
  • Spring – Like the winter but a bit warmer. Humidity is present, though the weather can vary from cloudy to clear. Temperature are in the low 20’s.
  • Summer – By far the hottest and most humid time of the year. The humidity brings routine thunderstorms and rain, particularly in June through August. Temperatures can reach over 29 degrees.
  • Fall – Fall is the best time to visit Hong Kong. The sunniest of the seasons, temperatures fall are in the high-20’s.

The subtropical climate of Hong Kong is accompanied by monsoons and heavy winds. Tropical cyclones are a risk to be aware of particularly in the summer months.

Hong Kong has a system in place to admit weather warnings for wind and rain severity. Rated on a scale from one to ten, the higher the rating the more severe the weather. Weather patterns rated over eight on the scale are considered serious.

How Safe is Hong Kong?

The Canadian Government rates Hong Kong as an area of low crime. Remain alert in crowded areas and keep belongings close. Always carry identification. If you are a victim of a crime, the emergency phone number is 999, not 911. Emergency services are comparable to the U.S. in response time and quality.

Despite being sold in Hong Kong, some items are illegal if considered pirated. When making purchases, be sure it is from a reliable source. Bringing weapons into Hong Kong, including pepper spray, is only legal with the proper documents.

Transportation wise, Hong Kong has reliable options. Hong Kong drivers operate on the left side of the road. Car rentals are available and Canadians can operate under their U.S. driver’s license for a year after entry. Public transportation in Hong Kong is world class, with buses, taxis and an underground option. All options are considered safe and reliable.

Transportation Tourism in Hong Kong

Must-do’s for travellers in Hong Kong involves unique forms of travel! They start where you first begin your journey, on Lantau Island near the airport. You will find the Ngong Ping Cable Car, a 360 degree 25-minute aerial experience that takes you across the Tung Chung Bay. Arrive at Big Buddha, or the Tian Tan Buddha, the largest Buddha bronze statue in existence.

The other two transportation attractions take place or end on Hong Kong Island. The Star Ferry is a breathtaking and cost-friendly trip across Victoria Harbor to Kowloon. Professional tip, try starting in Kowloon and ending on Hong Kong Island. The views of the city are even clearer. The other must-do is the Peak Tram, a scenic train that takes you to the top of Victoria Peak. Enjoy stunning views of the city below!

What Should I Take To Hong Kong?

Here are recommended items to bring along with you to Hong Kong:

  • Sunscreen and Bug Spray – Sunscreen and bug spray are must for Hong Kong. Make sure to use 30+ SPF sunscreen and bug sprays that contain DEET.
  • Electronics and Personal Belonging – If you cannot replace it, do not bring it. The risk of theft is low in Hong Kong but it can happen. The less you bring, the better for both travel and replacement purposes.
  • Clothing – Proper rain gear is highly recommended for the varying weather and winds. Also, nights can be cold in Hong Kong, particularly during the winter months. Consider packing a heavier jacket. Sturdy shoes are a great idea for exploring.

Canadian Embassy in Hong Kong

Canadian consular services can help travellers with many issues they may face including passport services. Once in Hong Kong, the information for the Canadian consulate is:

Consulate General of Canada in Hong Kong and Macao 9th floor, Berkshire House, 25 Westlands Road Quarry Bay, Hong Kong Telephone: (852) 2867 7348 (this line is not for immigration/visa; ce numéro n’est pas pour l’immigration/visa)

Ready to start your next journey? Call us at or book online now !

Customer Reviews

Passport health – travel vaccines for hong kong.

On This Page: What is Hong Kong? Do I Need a Visa for Hong Kong? Do I Need Vaccines For Hong Kong? What is the Climate Like in Hong Kong? How Safe is Hong Kong? Transportation Tourism in Hong Kong What Should I Take To Hong Kong? Canadian Embassy in Hong Kong

US - English

  • PIPEDA Policy and Consent Form
  • Privacy Policy
  • Automatic Data Collection Statement

Passport Health Canada on Facebook

University Health Service | HKU

                   Mon – Fri:                 8:40am – 1:00pm

                                                        2:00pm – 5:00pm

                   Sat:                           8:25am – 12:45pm

                   Sunday & Public Holidays:       Closed




  Meng Wah Complex,

  The University of Hong Kong

  (see map )

Suspension of Appointment Booking Service for Medical Unit and Physiotherapy Unit Apr 12, 2024

Temporary Suspension of Service Dec 08, 2023

Suspension of Web Booking Service Dec 01, 2023

Smoke Dissipates, Health Reborn 2023 Nov 23, 2023

HPV Vaccination Programme 2023 Oct 27, 2023

expand the news

Medical Disclaimer: Information on this website is intended to be used for reference only and should not be used in lieu of seeking medical advice from a health care provider. If you have a medical question or concern, you should make an appointment to see your health care provider.

** This website is best viewed in Google Chrome v.85 or above, Microsoft Edge v.85 or above, Firefox v.80 or above and Safari v.13 or above **

Table of Contents

COVID-19 Vaccination Programme

Latest xbb covid-19 vaccination arrangements.

Starting from 27 March 2024, eligible citizens aged 6 months or above who are still not vaccinated or have not yet completed initial doses, may choose to receive XBB vaccine as their initial vaccination for  free , while persons belonging to high-risk priority groups may receive XBB vaccine as their initial doses and additional booster for free .

For people who have made an online booking  before 27 March 2024 to receive other mRNA vaccines, XBB vaccines will be provided to complete their initial vaccination in venues offering XBB vaccination services.

All eligible persons can choose other currently available COVID-19 vaccines based on personal preference.

List of XBB COVID-19 Vaccination Venues .   Click here for venue details.

For latest vaccination recommendation of initial doses and additional booster, please click here .

Please click here for Government Online Booking System .

Don’t Wait! Get Your Jabs!

High risk priority groups are strongly recommended to receive seasonal influenza vaccine and additional covid-19 booster at the same time as soon as possible. , to know more about co-administration, please click here to visit relevant webpage ..

COVID-19 Vaccination Programme

hkfp logo

Hong Kong Free Press HKFP

Hong Kong news, breaking updates – 100% Independent, impartial, non-profit

HKFP Guide: Receiving a Covid-19 vaccine in Hong Kong

Headshot candice chau hkfp

  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Mastodon (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to print (Opens in new window)

On February 26, 2021, Hong Kong launched its free mass vaccination programme, more than a year after the coronavirus pandemic began in the city. HKFP presents some basic questions and answers about the vaccines and the logistics of the programme. Last update: 21 January, 2022.

Covid-19 vaccine

See also: HKFP Guide: How to survive and even thrive in Hong Kong hotel quarantine

What types of vaccine are available?

The government has bought 7.5 million doses from each of three manufacturers: Sinovac Biotech, Pfizer-BioNTech and AstraZeneca. All require two doses.

The government approved the emergency use of Chinese-made Sinovac on February 18 last year, with the first million doses of vaccines arriving in Hong Kong a day later. It became available to the public from February 26, 2021.

The US-German Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine Comirnaty has been ordered through Fosun Pharma, a Shanghai-based pharmaceutical company. It was approved for emergency use in last January and the first 580,000 doses arrived in Hong Kong at the end of February last year .

While the city also bought 7.5 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine – developed jointly with Oxford University – the government announced in October last year that it reached an agreement with the manufacturer and donated all doses to the COVAX mechanism, a scheme “working for equitable access to Covid-19 vaccines,” according to the World Health Organisation.

Are the vaccines efficacious and safe?

For most people, the risks of contracting Covid-19 far outweigh any potential side effects from receiving a vaccination. People with medical conditions should consult their doctors before vaccination.

Sinovac : According to documents submitted by the manufacturer, Sinovac has an efficacy rate of 50.66 per cent after one dose. If the second dose is taken after a 28-day break, the efficacy rate increases to 62.3 per cent.

Regina Ip Covid-19 vaccine

However, the government said there is limited information on how well the vaccine works on those aged 60 or above because of the small sample size during tests. Six people in Hong Kong have died after receiving the Sinovac jab but experts have said there was no link between the vaccine and the death in the first two cases, while the others are still being investigated.

Additionally, the Hong Kong government approved the use of Sinovac before the World Health Organisation (WHO) did. Officials said that they would reconsider their approval of the use of Sinovac should the WHO recommend otherwise.

There is a lack of sufficient data on whether Sinovac is safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding.

Pfizer-BioNTech : The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine shows an efficacy rate of 95 per cent and the WHO approved it for emergency use last December for people aged 16 or older.

BioNTech’s vaccine is not routinely recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.

How many doses of vaccine will I need? Is it free?

To be considered as “fully vaccinated,” adults have to receive two doses for both Sinovac and BioNTech’s vaccines, while children aged between 12 and 17 have to take one jab.

Vaccines are free of charge.

covid-19 vaccines

For Sinovac, the second dose of the vaccine should be given 28 days after the first dose, and for the BioNTech vaccine, there should at least be a 21-day interval.

After the first dose, people will be given a physical copy of their vaccination records. An electronic version will also be available for download via the “iAM Smart” or the “eHealth” mobile applications.

The vaccination programme has also been expanded to dose out booster jabs for eligible persons.

For adults, a third jab should be given at least six months after the second dose. As for those who are immunocompromised, the government “strongly recommended” that the third dose to be taken 28 days after the second dose.

As for children aged between 12 and 17 who received a dose of BioNTech vaccine, they are eligible for a second booster shot 12 weeks after their first jab.

Who is eligible for a Covid-19 vaccination?

Anyone aged 5 or above is eligible for vaccination.

Non-residents are also eligible for the vaccines. Holders of Two Way Permits, non-refoulment claimants and refugees, and travellers in Hong Kong who can complete the two doses during their stay can also receive Covid-19 vaccines.

How and where can I get vaccinated?

There are different avenues for vaccination but some will only provide one type of vaccine. People can choose according to the type of vaccine they want, when-and-if different options are available.

jordan covid lockdown

Community Vaccination Centres (CVCs): there are currently 14 CVCs open to the public. Three centres will provide Sinovac, while the remaining 11 will provide the BioNTech vaccine.

Residents can register using a 24-hour online system , or get “same day tickets,” which allow people to get vaccinated at a designated timeslot on the day.

Most CVCs open from 8am to 8pm every day. People must bring their identity card, and the letter or message confirming their appointments if a booking was made.

Clinics : People can also get Sinovac at one of the 14 clinics operated by the Hospital Authority. Registration is required . Over 1,500 private clinics also provide Sinovac, with eight medical groups also providing BioNTech.

Vaccination stations: People can also get their jabs at vaccination stations at 13 public hospitals , which only provide BioNTech jabs, or at one of the mobile vaccination stations .

Coronavirus virus covid-19 mask

The government will also arrange for medical workers to visit care homes and elderly homes to vaccinate residents on site.

What if I experience side effects?

There are several common side effects such as headaches, tiredness, pain, swelling and redness at the injection site.

In rare cases, people (one in 1,000 vaccinated) may experience temporary one-sided facial drooping after taking the BioNTech vaccine, while 0.01 to 0.1 per cent of people may experience side effects such as muscle spams, abdominal distension and hot flashes after being vaccinated with Sinovac.

Carrie Lam Coronavirus Covid-19 vaccine

The Department of Health has established a reporting mechanism for people experiencing adverse effects after vaccination. Citizens can alert healthcare professionals should they experience serious side effects.

The government has sought HK$1 billion from the Legislative Council (LegCo) for an indemnity fund. According to LegCo documents, victims of serious side effects or relatives of those who die because of the vaccine may be eligible for compensation of up to HK$3 million.

Can I travel freely after being vaccinated? Do vaccinated arrivals still need to quarantine?

Not quite yet. The International Air Transport Association (IATA) says it expects a digital “Covid Travel Pass” to be ready within weeks, which may allow vaccinated persons to travel more freely.

Hong Kong has not announced any new rules for vaccinated persons arriving in Hong Kong – they will still have to quarantine at a hotel for up to three weeks.

Support HKFP   |   Policies & Ethics   |   Error/typo?   |   Contact Us   |   Newsletter   |  Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Help safeguard press freedom & keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

contribute to hkfp methods


How luxury brands still lure Chinese shoppers despite slowdown

How luxury brands still lure Chinese shoppers despite slowdown

Hong Kong needs a health model based on prevention and positivity, not fear and disease

Hong Kong needs a health model based on prevention and positivity, not fear and disease

Hong Kong’s decades-old President Theatre to close on Tuesday

Hong Kong’s decades-old President Theatre to close on Tuesday

HK$3.75m in monthly expenses for Covid isolation facilities ‘not waste of taxpayer money,’ Hong Kong gov’t says

HK$3.75m in monthly expenses for Covid isolation facilities ‘not waste of taxpayer money,’ Hong Kong gov’t says

Hkfp guides.

childrens vaccine

Support HKFP   |  Code of Ethics   |  Error/typo?   |  Contact Us   |   Newsletter   |  Annual & Transparency Report

Headshot candice chau hkfp

Candice Chau

Candice is a reporter at Hong Kong Free Press. She previously worked as a researcher at a local think tank. She has a BSocSc in Politics and International Relations from the University of Manchester and a MSc in International Political Economy from London School of Economics.

Trust Project x Newsguard

HKFP is a proud member of:

trust project

Latest Stories

More gov’t-appointed members to join social workers’ licencing body as welfare chief cites need to ‘protect nat. security’ – reports

More gov’t-appointed members to join social workers’ licencing body as welfare chief cites need to ‘protect nat. security’ – reports

Hong Kong’s bin bag plan: a matter of trust?

Hong Kong’s bin bag plan: a matter of trust?

A historic town straddling Hong Kong-China border begins a modest tourism transformation

A historic town straddling Hong Kong-China border begins a modest tourism transformation

China’s Xi Jinping leaves Hungary, concludes 5-day European tour

China’s Xi Jinping leaves Hungary, concludes 5-day European tour

By backing Russia during its war on Ukraine, China may risk involvement in ecocide

By backing Russia during its war on Ukraine, China may risk involvement in ecocide

How Hong Kong designer Charis Poon integrates zine-making into university courses

How Hong Kong designer Charis Poon integrates zine-making into university courses

Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.

hkfp apps

features & interviews

Flower market district: Residents fear plans to build high-rises and mall will uproot community – Part 1

Flower market district: Residents fear plans to build high-rises and mall will uproot community – Part 1

Hong Kong zine artist Kaitlin Chan on seeing the city with ‘renewed curiosity’ 

Hong Kong zine artist Kaitlin Chan on seeing the city with ‘renewed curiosity’ 

Restaurants slow to adopt eco-friendly alternatives as Hong Kong’s ban on single-use plastics takes effect

Restaurants slow to adopt eco-friendly alternatives as Hong Kong’s ban on single-use plastics takes effect

Sexual harassment allegations against LGBTQ-friendly pastor in Hong Kong raise questions over power dynamics

Sexual harassment allegations against LGBTQ-friendly pastor in Hong Kong raise questions over power dynamics

Views expressed by opinion writers & advertisers are not necessarily shared by HKFP.

Where to find HKFP:

  • HKFP Mobile Apps .
  • HKFP Newsletter .
  • HKFP Podcast .
  • HKFP Facebook .
  • HKFP Instagram .
  • HKFP LinkedIn .
  • HKFP Mastodon .
  • HKFP Telegram .
  • HKFP X/Twitter .
  • HKFP YouTube .
  • HKFP Apple News .
  • HKFP Flipboard .
  • HKFP News360 .
  • HKFP Pushbullet .
  • HKFP Whatsapp .

About HKFP:

  • Advertise with HKFP .
  • Announcements .
  • Contact HKFP .
  • Community Guidelines .
  • Corrections Policy .
  • Corrections Log .
  • Documentary on HKFP .
  • Freelance Charter .
  • Newspaper Registration (periodical) .
  • Policies, Ethics & Standards .
  • Privacy, T's & C''s .
  • Security Law .
  • Staff Roster .

HKFP Partnerships:

nordvpn hkfp

Most-read stories today

A historic town straddling Hong Kong-China border begins a modest tourism transformation

About The Trust Project

The Trust Project is a collaboration among news organizations around the world. Its goal is to create strategies that fulfill journalism’s basic pledge: to serve society with a truthful, intelligent and comprehensive account of ideas and events.

The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Press Releases

Cookies on GOV.UK

We use some essential cookies to make this website work.

We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.

We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.

You have accepted additional cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

You have rejected additional cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

travel clinic hong kong

  • Passports, travel and living abroad
  • Travel abroad
  • Foreign travel advice

Warnings and insurance

This travel advice covers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR). For mainland China, see travel advice for China and for Macao SAR, see Macao travel advice .

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office ( FCDO ) provides advice about risks of travel to help British nationals make informed decisions. Find out more about FCDO travel advice . 

Dual Chinese-British nationality

Hong Kong does not recognise dual nationality. If you have both British and Chinese nationality, you may be treated as a Chinese citizen by local authorities, even if you enter Hong Kong on your British passport. If this is the case, the British Consulate-General may not be able to offer you consular help.    

If you have formally renounced Chinese citizenship, carry evidence that you have done so.

See guidance on nationality in China . 

Before you travel 

No travel can be guaranteed safe. Read all the advice in this guide and any specific travel advice that applies to you: 

  • disabled people  
  • LGBT+ people  

Follow and contact FCDO travel on Twitter , Facebook and Instagram . You can also sign up to get email notifications when this advice is updated. 

Travel insurance 

If you choose to travel, research your destinations and get appropriate travel insurance . Insurance should cover your itinerary, planned activities and expenses in an emergency. 

Related content

Is this page useful.

  • Yes this page is useful
  • No this page is not useful

Help us improve GOV.UK

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.

To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. Please fill in this survey .


  1. Travel Health & Vaccines for Hong Kong| Advice for Travellers

    travel clinic hong kong

  2. Hong Kong Clinics » Raffles Medical International Clinic

    travel clinic hong kong

  3. Hong Kong Clinic » HK International Airport » Raffles Medical International

    travel clinic hong kong

  4. 主頁

    travel clinic hong kong

  5. Department of Health

    travel clinic hong kong

  6. Travel Health Service About us

    travel clinic hong kong


  1. 終於有得睇返街症?萬眾期待!邊5間診所率先開?香港即將現海外醫生?|梁翊婷 Edith


  1. Travel Health Service Department of Health

    Travel Health Tips Vaccine and Prophylaxis Special Population Frequently Asked Questions Useful Links Downloads Featured News. Latest overseas Dengue Fever situation. Precaution Against Bedbugs During Travel. Be Vigilant Against Zika Virus Infection. Be Vigilant Against COVID-19. Be Vigilant Against Seasonal Influenza ...

  2. Department of Health

    List of Clinics and Health Centres . Travel Health Centres. Centre ... Travel Health Centre (Hong Kong) Room 26, 18/F, Wu Chung House, 213 Queen's Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong. 2961 8840: Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. Travel Health Centre (Kowloon) 1/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon.

  3. Travel Health Clinic

    In Hong Kong, Yellow fever vaccination is only available in the Travel Health Centres, Department of Health. Please note that Yellow fever vaccination certificate is an entry requirement for certain countries and is valid only 10 days after injection. ... Global Travel Clinic Directory, International Society of Travel Medicine . PolyU full time ...

  4. Travel Health Clinics in HK

    Marina Medical. 34206622. Room 2005,New World Tower 1,16-18 Queen's Road,Central,Hong Kong. Marina Medical @Central is a private outpatient clinic providing primary and specialty care services, located in Central. Aside from general and specialists consultations, we also offer a range of vaccinations, health screening and travel medicine services.

  5. Travel Health Service, University Health Service, HKU (Limited Capacity

    In Hong Kong, Yellow fever vaccine is only available in the Travel Health Centres, Department of Health. Yellow fever vaccination certificate is an international vaccine certificate required for entry into certain countries. It takes 10 days to provide good protection after vaccination.

  6. Travel Health Service Providers

    Travel Health Service, University Health Service, HKU (Limited Capacity) (Please click here) Please book and attend Travel Health Service at least 3 months before departure. After your booking, you are required to submit the Travel Health Questionnaire (require HKU Portal login). Please send the forms to UHS by fax 2540-6643 or by email to ...

  7. Travel Vaccines and Advice for Hong Kong

    Specific. Advice. Travellers'. Diarrhea Kits. Available. Hong Kong is a blend of both Eastern and Western influence with a myriad of architectural wonders, friendly gardens, modern marvels, and traditional experiences. Hong Kong is identified by four separate and peculiar areas of the country. A popular attraction is Big Buddha.

  8. Clinic

    1/F, 33 Granville Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong. Telephone:. 2731 6214. Fax:. 2731 6219. E-mail:. [email protected]. Our Clinic was established in 1958 and has been providing various kinds of medical services and health education to citizens and tourists. We also aim at responding to community needs and medical service development.

  9. Centre for Health Protection

    Members of the public who wish to travel to places outside Hong Kong should check before departure the destination's entry rules, including vaccination requirements, and that the latest announcement by the destination's government shall prevail. ... Clinics can print out complete local vaccination record after the citizens receiving new dose of ...

  10. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

    Complete COVID-19 vaccination before travel according to the latest recommendations to effectively protect against COVID-19 disease ... If feeling unwell when outside Hong Kong, especially if experiencing respiratory symptoms, wear a well-fitted surgical mask and seek medical advice at once. Health advice for persons tested positive for COVID-19.

  11. Travel Vaccinations for Hong Kong

    Hong Kong Travel Vaccinations for Hong Kong. Find your nearest clinic. Book appointment. Trustpilot. Vaccinations. Rabies vaccination £69 per dose. ... You should visit a travel clinic 6 - 8 weeks before your trip to ensure that you will be able to get all vaccinations you need in time.

  12. Hong Kong SAR (China)

    All international travelers should be fully vaccinated against measles with the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, including an early dose for infants 6-11 months, according to CDC's measles vaccination recommendations for international travel. Measles (Rubeola) - CDC Yellow Book. Rabies. Hong Kong is free of dog rabies.

  13. Hong Kong International Travel Information

    COVID-19 Testing: COVID-19 PCR tests are available at private laboratories and clinics in Hong Kong. The price for these PCR tests generally ranges from 50 to 100 US Dollars. The Hong Kong government maintains a list of recognized laboratories. Rapid COVID-19 tests are readily available at pharmacies and retail establishments throughout Hong Kong.

  14. Hong Kong

    All travelers should ensure they have adequate travel health insurance. Vaccinations: Travelers must be up-to-date on their immunization schedule whether they are children or adults. For example, these vaccines include the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine and the diphtheria, tetanus, and polio vaccine.

  15. Travel Vaccines and Advice for Hong Kong

    Hong Kong. Specific. Advice. Travellers'. Diarrhea Kits. Available. Hong Kong is a blend of both Eastern and Western influence with a myriad of architectural wonders, friendly gardens, modern marvels, and traditional experiences. Hong Kong is identified by four separate and unique areas of the country. A popular attraction is Big Buddha.

  16. University Health Service

    Travel Health Service; Weight Control Programme; Occupational Health & Safety; Laboratory; Dispensary; Physiotherapy; Health Education; Appointment. Medical; Dental; Physiotherapy; ... The University of Hong Kong (see map) News: Suspension of Appointment Booking Service for Medical Unit and Physiotherapy Unit Apr 12, 2024. Temporary Suspension ...

  17. Centre for Health Protection

    Latest XBB COVID-19 Vaccination Arrangements Starting from 27 March 2024, eligible citizens aged 6 months or above who are still not vaccinated or have not yet completed initial doses, may choose to receive XBB vaccine as their initial vaccination for free, while persons belonging to high-risk priority groups may receive XBB vaccine as their initial doses and additional booster for free ...

  18. HKFP Guide: Receiving a Covid-19 vaccine in Hong Kong

    On February 26, 2021, Hong Kong launched its free mass vaccination programme, more than a year after the coronavirus pandemic began in the city. HKFP presents some basic questions and answers ...

  19. Free vaccination service at 16 Private Clinic COVID-19 Vaccination

    The Government will set up 16 Private Clinic COVID-19 Vaccination Stations across Hong Kong to provide more COVID-19 vaccination venues with greater convenience for the public. Starting from 9am tomorrow (August 27), members of the public can make reservations for vaccination services for free through the booking system on the designated ...

  20. Hong Kong (SAR of China) travel advice

    Still current at: 9 May 2024 Updated: 22 March 2024 Latest update: This travel advice has been updated to reflect new national security legislation coming into force in Hong Kong ('Safety and ...